Sunday, May 15, 2011

Raspberries and Cucurbits

One of the fenced-in raspberry patches.
I weeded the raspberries so my wife could plant her pumpkins and squashes among them. When I prepared these 10 x 30 raised beds I used soil from the river bottom mixed with a large amount of organic matter and both composted and new coffee grounds for extra acidity, but the soil still has a significant clay composition. It doesn't affect the output of our plants from what I can tell. I'll wait to hear when Church View Farms begins harvesting their berries and then I'll compare.

I like the combination of the raspberries and cucurbits because the raspberries outgrow the very large leaves of the cucurbits, and there is little sunshine left for weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for SPAM (or trolls); otherwise all comments will be welcome.